Thursday, August 7, 2008

Big Day at the Zoo!

On August 6th, we got to have a big day out to the Oregon Zoo! My awesome place of employment hosts a picnic every year where we get to bring our families and enjoy festivities and food and time connecting with each other. It is wonderful! So, even though I'm on maternityy leave, I got to go see all my co-workers... such awesome folks! And Belén got to experience the Zoo for the first time!

Beginning our big day!

Hanging out with the Cougars! (She's actually awake! It's a miracle!)

Happy family photo - with the giraffe! I love how he looks so poised for his photo with us! :)


She is dressed just right for the zoo! But she's had a long day and she is surely tuckered out!

Later that night... I got her this cute hat to keep the sun out of her face, and it matches her giraffe onesie from Gymboree (an awesome gift from Eric's boss). She evidently has serious issues when it comes to accessories. She didn't like this any better than she liked the barrette I put in her hair. :) I think I must be a mean mommy because these pictures of her crying are so funny to me!

The second after I snapped this shot, I was appalled to see a critter hopping along the baseboard of her nursery!! Seriously, a little tree frog was just making himself at home in her room! I stalked it with a box in hand and it hopped up the wall and under the crib and all over the north side of the room. Meanwhile, Belén is still screaming because I've caused her to remain in her undesirable accessory for far longer than necessary. I wouldn't leave the nursery because I didn't want the frog to sneak out into another part of the house... and Eric wasn't home and I wasn't about to touch this frog myself... so I did what any reasonable scaredy-cat would do: I called the emergency maintenance hotline! :) The onsite fellow who came was amused to discover that I had manged to trap it under the confines of an empty wipes box which I then secured with an iron on top. He was less amused to have to leave the confines of his cozy evening at home for my "emergency," which he removed by grabbing the two-inch beast with his hand and promptly releasing him in my front yard. Still, he was gracious, and all was well.

I still can't fathom how the critter got into my home... I kind of wonder if, while walking through the exhibits earlier in the day, he hopped onto Belén's carriage and made himself our own little "Zoo-venier!"

No comments: